"Chaos is not the opposite of rhythm but the milieu of all milieus"
Deleuze & Guattari



Monday, 8 September 2014

SO LONG BEIRUT

Last month I closed my last issue as editor of Selections & the Art Paper in Beirut before leaving Lebanon with a feeling of having spent a fruitful 14 months enjoying work as much as play. My favourite features from the magazine this Autumn are Sheyma Buali's extensive interview with Palestinian pop artist Laila Shawa, and John Ovans' colourful depiction of Inhotim art park in Brazil, which I've always wanted to visit. 


My own articles this time include an interview with French curator Fabrice Bousteau about his personal experiences of India and synaesthesia; a profile of artfest Volcano Extravaganza, held annually on the Aeolian island of Stromboli and this year rave-themed under the title Forget Amnesia; and a skip through the history of Arab modern architecture, as told by Bernard Khoury and George Arbid for Bahrain's pavilion at the Venice Biennale. Read the magazine in full here.


I love Jon Rafman's piece 'I dig, you dig, and it, the worm, digs too' that we chose as the cover of the Art Paper. We went for a technology focus with brilliant stories on recent work by James Bridle and Trevor Paglen written by Merlin Fulcher and Arie Amaya-Akkermans, plus I share some thoughts on Art After the Internet having spoken with curator Omar Kholeif about the book he put together with the same subtitle. We also ran my interview with Tim Noble and Sue Webster from a few months back - quite fun as they talk about the new paintings they are making blind. Take a look here!

Next stops: New York >> Boston >> London...